Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Happy Holidays

Love Hope Faith Religious
Unique party invitations and greeting cards by Shutterfly.
View the entire collection of cards.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Little Kids Hear All and Repeat Everything!

Lotus has been growing leaps and bounds with her speech, she is talking more and more. Her vocabulary has increased and does so each day. She really surprises me with some of the things she says and understands. Lotus most of the time is the great imitator, she imitates our actions and our words. This is where my story begins.....

As I was making dinner, Lotus was sitting at the table patiently waiting for her food as we were running late. We usually eat around 6 pm and it was already 7:30pm. As I was getting everything together, I realized I was burning the garlic bread. Something I do all too often, as I realized what had happened, I exclaimed, "Darn It!" (change the R to a M). And of course little Miss Lotus was listening and said clear as day, "Darn It!" (again change the R to a M). I was floored! I am pretty good about censoring myself and do not make a habit of cursing, this just slipped out! Kevin heard her and walked away smiling. I tried to not laugh, and told Lotus that mommy said a bad word and she was sorry. She should not repeat that word again.

Funny thing, we work and work on words and phrases. Lotus does well, not always clear, sometimes mumbles. Wouldn't you know it, this time she had no problems at all. She was clear as day and articulated the word with the exact feeling I used. Morale of the story, you just never know when your kids are listening.........just when you think it is safe to talk about Aunt Harriett's funny hat..........think again!

6 comments:

Jill said...

Too funny! Check out my blogpost "things that come back to bite you..."
It only gets better my friend!!!
LOL!
Merry Christmas!

Kate said...

Oh yes...they hear and repeat especially the words we emphasize! Yes...life does change when that happens. Besides words, it also tickles me when Lia repeats a pattern...like very emphatically telling me "these are your choices"...that always makes Jim laugh as she sounds EXACTLY like me...such a little mimic!!!

They keep us laughing don't they???

Have a wonderful Christmas with little Lotus!!! Sweet times to be sure!!

Kate

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Deb!

We hit went through this with Sarah this past summer....makes you think twice before you speak!!

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas....hope Santa is good to sweet little Lotus!!

Happy Holidays

Lisa

PS...Loved the card...she is too cute!

Jennifer said...

Yes this happened to us too. They repeat the things you don't want them too.

It is really hard not to laugh at them.

Jen

Trish said...

Glad to see her language progressing. Good reminder to me that i need to censor myself.

Kellyann said...

This post sounds VERY familiar to one of my own. Kids say the darnest things, lol!